Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Top of the Mountain

Happy Fourth of July to all. Yesterday was a great day. Aaron and I started our day with an 8 mile hike to the top of the Sandia Mountains east of Albuquerque. It was amazing! We've been hiking the Sandias for five years and this was our first time to finally make it to the top. This was a pretty good accomplishment considering the elevation climb is around 3,000 feet! The view was incredible! You could see for what must have been a hundred miles. Not to mention the great viewpoint of the rock cliffs on the west side of the mountains.
Hiking has to be my second favorite past time. Painting being my first of course! There is no better way, as far as I'm concerned, to clear your mind and inspire new ideas. It's also great exercise. I am now planning to do another whole series of rock paintings. These will be different from the first series because I plan to paint them more abstract this time. I'm thinking Georgia O'Keefe's flowers only with rocks.

Speaking of paintings, I finished the abstract spiral sun series this morning. At least for now. I still may do a couple more. I will post the final painting here soon.

I'm feeling very accomplished after the hike to the top of the mountains yesterday! I look forward to more trips to the top in coming weeks, with some great paintings coming out of it.

No comments: