Thursday, April 26, 2007

Recycled LP Records


This idea is not a new one, but a great one! I have to share a little history about myself here so you can understand my connection to vinyl.
My dad is a record collector, has been since, I don't know, the 1950s? Anyway, he has over 25,000 records! 33s, 45s and 78s! I grew up hanging out with him in his "record room", which at one point was nothing more than a big closet. I have fond memories of him introducing me to all kinds of music during the 70s and 80s. He has the top 100 Billboard hits from the 40s thru the early 90s!
I almost feel a little guilty defacing these records after having my dad pound into my head the "correct" way to handle them! However, I've told him my plans and I think he approves. Thanks to my dad for the doubles he had to spare! Hope you like them, dad!
Music has always been a huge thing in my life. I can't remember a time when I didn't listen to music every minute of the day. My brother is a musician. I even married a musician!
So, when I first started seeing recycled vinyl everywhere, I thought what a great idea for my paintings! I have wanted to paint in a round format and the records are perfect for this. They also have a built in hanger with the hole in the middle! This is available in my Etsy shop.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your dad has over 25,00 records! WOWWWWW! I love this by the way! Wonderful work!:) Recycled too, KEWL!!!!!!!
*HUGS*

Cynthia said...

Very cool! My husband has edited out his vinyl collection and I'm on him to get rid of the rest. He says that some of them must be kept, even though we no longer have a turntable.

Paula Manning-Lewis said...

Thanks Angela and Cynthia!

Yeah, 25,000 records is a lot! I have many memories of all the times we had to move, it always took the longest to move the boxes and boxes of records!

My dad is also clearing out his records because he has spent the last few years transferring them to computer files so they can be easily accessed and played.

If you need someone to take any extra records, let me know! ;)

Philip said...

Great idea. I love music too and it has been an important part of my life since the 1960s.

artofandrewdaniel said...

Hi Paula,
Thank you for the compliments! I really like this album! I think we do use a lot of similar shapes and such. I've seen you're stuff on Etsy a lot! I've added a link to your blog onto mine. Thanks for the offer!